About the Course
Film 355-1: Film, Media and the Art of Social Change
This course focuses on the following questions:
• What roles have and do media generally, and films in particular, play in addressing major social issues and in effecting or impeding social change?
• What are historical examples of major (or even lesser known) shifts in the area of social change that can be attributed in large part to the influence of film/media?
• How have media changed over time? Have “social media” played a role in social change movements? If so, how? Would historical forms of media that influenced social change accomplish similar results today?
• What is the relationship between film/particular forms of media (i.e. medium), the particular context they were created, and the people/entities who created them?
• What are obstacles? How do the media inhibit or impede social change?
• Historically what roles have artists, filmmakers, photographers, directors, print journalist, etc. played in addressing social and political issues